Tuesday 29 March 2016

Granny & The Blackboy Peach Tree

It's the start of the blackboy peach season. 

Our first blackboy peach tree in Southbridge came from Granny's place in Leeston.   These marvellous little peach trees breed true and grow readily from the stone so once you have one there's a good chance more will spring up around it.  So it was that Granny gave us one of her baby trees many years ago before she died in 1980.

Dad planted it at the front of the orchard in Southbridge.  In 1983 when my beloved Collie dog Charn died suddenly when he was only 4 years old I was heartbroken.  I buried him beside what was then still the fairly young blackboy peach tree given to us by Granny and put a fence around the grave.   For a long time that peach tree thrived and produced many peaches and then it too died - but not before it had produced more baby peach trees.  Those baby peach trees and their offspring are the ones we still have today.  So it is the cycle of life continues.

As the writer and poet Robert Frost once wrote, "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life - it goes on". 

As the years go by time and time again I find myself associating a tree or a plant or produce with a relative or friend, the association often triggering loving memories because it was a tree they gave to us or a flower that was a favourite of theirs or I just remember how much my mother's side of the family loved pickled onions. 

When Granny gave Dad the baby peach tree he didn't want to take it there and then. He said he'd get it another day.  Granny said, "No, no, take it now. Another day might never come".

 And so as we once again begin to gather another bounty of delicious peaches Granny's words and wisdom echo through my mind, down over the years like a river running over stones to the sea - and I remember my wonderful grandmother whom I loved greatly and still miss.  She was the 13th of 13 children.  She was feisty and didn't suffer fools gladly but she was very kind.  And it's because of her kindness we get to enjoy these beautiful peaches, God rest her soul. 


Below : Two of the young blackboy peach trees which are descended from Granny's original tree.




Below : Andrew poses with the latest batch of blackboy peaches we preserved.




Below : My beloved Granny 
Julia Frances Manson nee Brears 
Gone but never forgotten

Born Halkett, Canterbury 20 December 1897
Died Christchurch, Canterbury 16 November 1980. Lived most of her life in Leeston. 

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4:7

Now sleeping peacefully at the top of the rise in the Ellesmere Cemetery, below:

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/robertfros101059.html
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/robertfros101059.html

No comments:

Post a Comment